Just a NOTE: I am posting this way after I wrote maybe even a year but because the show is still around on Netflix I figured why not! Enjoy my thoughts, feel free to comment.
SPOILERS for the ENTIRE 2nd Season of HEMLOCK GROVE— You have been WARNED!!
Image Source: Wikipedia
Hi all I am back with a short review or in this case an opinion about how I feel about Hemlock Grove the second season. First off here are two lists.
Things I liked about Season 2, Reminder about SPOILERS
1. Roman’s new digs, very modern and suit him perfectly, colors were dark and brooding
2. Roman’s wardrobe it seems more fitting of a young executive, they must have graduated
3. Destiny, she seems more of a mother to Peter than Lynda who was like an older sister
5. The baby who was randomly named Nadia which I didn’t like as a name
6. Olivia’s new wardrobe
7. Peter & Roman’s bromance
8. Unexpected three way sexual tension appealing too bad it involved (Miranda see dislikes)
Things I didn’t like
1. The randomness of the killings, it seemed an effort to incorporate extreme violence
2. Killers after children, very distasteful subject matter
3. The way they tried to make the killings part of the mythology of the show it seemed an after thought.
4. The cruelty of what happen to poor Shelly after she was finally going to get a new body
5. Olivia who supposedly had change was randomly violent two times without real cause
6. Miranda, everything about her seemed forced except her BLONDness
7. It would have been interesting to learn why Olivia decided to wear colors since last season black/white was her personality and it seemed an integral part of her character.
I was looking forward to a new season of Hemlock Grove with excitement and I mostly feel let down now. It’s not as though there were not really pivotal moments and what I hope is a continuing series. It that there seemed a lot of missed opportunities for more. I believe that happens quite often in television shows.
First instance, if Shelly had been given her new body it would have been so cool to see how she dealt with being wanted and adored as a new person, for once in her life. Even if no one new that she was Shelly she would have had an entirely real chance at life. I believe that even her uncle might have changed his mind about killing Olivia if Shelly had been given that opportunity, of course its speculation.
Another example of what could have been different is what if the three characters of Roman, Peter and the dreaded Miranda had set up house with Nadia. That of course would have been an interesting set up on a different kind of show. Hemlock Grove is all about shock value and so that idea is a pipe dream.
So back to reality, there was a lot of the same dynamic among characters, the anger and denial of brotherly love with Roman and Peter. The loving brow beating with Peter and Destiny and the dreadful hatefulness of Peter toward his mother, Olivia.
What was different is that this time we had a chance to see inside the White Tower as well as the life of the doctor, even his bedroom which was appealing to me. I wondered what made him such an arrogant prick before, but basically they have allowed him to have free reigns of the operations and he hadn’t been as prudent as he should have been. He hired the best sometimes at a cost beyond funding.
No matter my opinion of season two I certainly did watch season three 🙂